Pages

Tuesday 12 July 2016

SOME MISTAKES YOU JUST DON'T MAKE



Last week during my 50th birthday party I spent some time cutting up the beautiful cake my sister in law had made. She had used black dye on some of the fondant and as I cut the cake my hands became blacker and blacker. Not wishing to ruin my beautiful birthday dress, I took off into the bathroom to scrub my hands. A couple of minutes later my friend Carole stormed in and asked what I was doing in there. Thinking that she was making conversation as it was actually pretty obvious, I just laughed. But she persisted and told me that I needed "balls" to be in here and I needed to come out. It still took a bit longer, but eventually when she pointed behind me to the latrines the penny finally dropped. I was in the male bathroom. Thank goodness it was empty at the time. When I finally exited the bathroom, there was a crowd waiting to give me a rousing clap. How mean! It was a simple mistake!  

According to http://au.reachout.com/the-truth-about-mistakes making mistakes is a normal part of life and taking responsibility and facing up to our mistakes is a great way to learn and avoid doing the same thing again. Did I learn anything from my bathroom adventure? Yes. I learned that when I'm focused on something, I tend to have blinkers on - not a good habit really. Imagine the embarrassment if the bathroom had been full. According to my husband, I make these mistakes often. Leaving the lights on is his pet peeve. The reality is that I am so focused on what I am doing next, I just forget to turn those lights off! OK it needs to stop. I admit it. I am at fault here and I hereby promise to slow down, stop, think and play my part in reducing the cost of the power bill. 

Let's get serious now. Some mistakes are worse than others and some mistakes you just don't make.

Yesterday I drove home from the city. It is a four and a half hour road trip that can be quite tedious, but was actually lovely for a change. I saw lots on the way - paddocks full of stunning yellow canola crops, an emu feeding in an area that was rejuvenating from a bush fire  and crisp clear ocean views. It wasn't all nice. I also saw people driving like idiots possessed, driving with heads down (obviously checking out their phones) and people texting.These people are making huge mistakes while deliberately and intentionally breaking the law AND BOY AM I CROSS.

The first day I ever used a mobile phone, I needed to travel on the freeway in Perth. It rang while I was on the freeway and I was so excited by my first call, I reached down to answer it. Please be aware it was still legal to do so at the time. The next five minutes were madness. I made mistakes with my driving that put me and other drivers at risk. At one stage I even missed an exit and had to then go miles out of my way to return to my route. It was an eye opener and one I never repeated. I didn't need a law to tell me what to do. While driving, you do not use a phone.

Now usually mistakes are not a reflection on you as a person. I would hope that people don't judge my value by the fact I hung out in a male bathroom and left all the lights blazing in my house. But let me tell you straight. I am judging the folk who crossed my path yesterday and it's not in a good way, because how many times do you need to be told. The news, social media, magazines, newspapers etc are littered with stories, rules and laws about driving. There is no longer any excuse. These mistakes are serious and need to stop.

If you are one of the many people who still "play" with their phone while driving, stop it before you kill yourself or others. And quit making excuses for yourself. You do NOT have to take that call or reply to that text or find out what's happening in the world while driving. You just don't.

Usually, if you make mistakes, you acknowledge them, fix them and move on. It's actually not healthy to dwell on old resolved mistakes. But if you are one of the many still doing the wrong thing on the road, I would encourage you today to dwell and keep dwelling.Think about how quickly life could change. Then chuck your phone in the back seat out of reach while driving. Or better still put it in your bag and put the bag in the boot of the car.

I'm off to check that all the lights are off in the house. Let me know when it is safe to go back on the roads.

Till next time...xxx

The view on the drive home


















16 comments:

  1. 2 comments - I've wandered into the men's restroom more times than I care to admit on this public forum. AND you are so right about cell phones in the car. That is the kind of mistake that could kill someone! Thanks for sharing on #overthemoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is inspirational! I too deal with a daily struggle... I have muscle pain and weakness. WE must stay focused and positive. I am so excited to have you join the SEASONAL BLOG HOP JOY!~*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure whether to join or not but your kind words have reassured me. X

      Delete
  3. So honest and brave of you to tell about this story. And so responsible to own up to something this big. This is such a nice read. #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in the country. We see too many deaths from idiot drivers. It needs to stop.

      Delete
  4. Belated birthday wishes and welcome to the age of the Golden Girls. It's a wonderful time of your life. And yes those idiotic drivers and their idiotic phones! Costly mistake if it happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like thinking of myself as a Golden Girl. Off to polish my shiny crown.

      Delete
  5. I have done the male rest room thing, very embarrassing. Totally agree with mobiles used when driving, it does make one angry to think they are putting other road users at risk.

    Kathleen
    Bloggers Pit Stop - the home of great posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reassured I'm not the only one frequenting the male rest rooms! Thanks for reading Kathleen xxx

      Delete
  6. I work at a hospital, and distracted drivers are a very large percentage on my business. Its something that nobody ever thinks is going to happen to them, because they can do two things at once....until they can't. Happy birthday btw. Hope it was a good one #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a small country town and we see too any accidents because of people doing the wrong thing. It saddens me so much because it is largely preventable.

      Delete
  7. It makes me so mad when I see someone texting and driving. I want to honk the horn and get them to pay attention, but I'm always afraid it would cause an accident!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. As they say damned if you do and damned if you don't.

      Delete
  8. Truth! I refuse to answer my phone while I'm driving too. Apparently we (no phone while driving drivers) are a small minority of people, but oh well. Safety first!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the fabulous fifties enjoy! Thanks for sharing on the #TrafficJamWeekend Linky Party

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...